PhD Positions to work with my team at the Network Science Institute, Northeastern University
The Social Urban Networks (SUN) group, led by Dr. Esteban Moro, focuses on developing computational social science tools to address urban challenges, from climate change and inequality to health and economic development. By using large datasets of human behavior, tools and ideas from physics, applied mathematics, complex systems or network science, and collaborations with industry, government, and local communities, we seek not only to advance the understanding of the temporal dynamics of social systems to unprecedented levels but also to transform our findings into tools and policies to help achieve resilient and equitable adaptation of our societies. Check more of our work at http://estebanmoro.org
We are recruiting students to join my SUN group as graduate researchers in Fall 2024. We are seeking highly motivated students to explore the following subjects:
- Fighting inequality in urban areas: mapping the inequality in the social fabric of cities at an unprecedented scale using high-resolution mobility and activity data.
- Creating resilient labor and urban economies: detecting economic resilience encoded in the dependency networks of agents, business, cities, or jobs.
- Understanding behavioral-network determinants of health outcomes in our cities, by modeling physical exposure between people and healthy environments.
Our work heavily depends on data-driven, evidence-based modeling and collaboration with practitioners. We seek students with experience in network science, physics, big data, behavior modeling, urban science, complex systems, machine learning, visualization, or geospatial analysis. Programming (Python, R), statistics, and data science skills are essential.
If you are interested, send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A cover letter detailing your research interests and fit for the position.
- CV, including a list of publications, academic/professional background, and skills.
- Names and contact details for 2 references.
Network Science PhD Program at Northeastern University
Candidates need to apply to the Network Science Ph.D. Program at Northeastern University. The Network Science PhD program at Northeastern University is a pioneering interdisciplinary program that provides the tools and concepts to understand the structure and dynamics of networks arising from the interplay of human behavior, socio-technical infrastructures, information diffusion, and biological agents. The application deadline for Fall 2024 is December 1, 2023. Apply HERE
Network Science Institute at Northeastern University
The Network Science Institute (NetSI) at Northeastern University is a world-leading center for research and education in network science. NetSI faculty and researchers are working to advance the understanding of complex systems through the lens of networks, and to apply this knowledge to solve real-world problems in a wide range of fields, including urban science, public health, social science, and economics.